As a brief follow-up to my review of the book “Skinny Bitch” I thought I would find some links that you might want to take a look at.
Can be found in most processed foods. In New Zealand the number doesn’t have the ‘E’ in front, and this may be the case in other food safety jurisdictions.
- UK Food Guide’s free guide to E Numbers can be found here.
- The Vegetarian Society’s Guide to E Numbers can be found here.
- UK Food Standards Authority can be found here.
Two of my young nephews have just been diagnosed as Coeliacs, so I thought that I would add information for those who may be interested in additives and food allergies. Take a look at the following links:
- UK Food Standards Authority website – Allergy & Intolerance page.
- Coeliac Society of New Zealand website.
- Coeliac Society of Australia website.
- The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network website.
- Food Intolerance Network website.
In my own childhood I went through a long series of exclusion diets designed to identify what might have been causing bad hives, welts and eczema attacks, so I have every sympathy for those of you who might need any or all of the websites above.
Finally, on another note, “Fast Food Nation” by Eric Schlosser has now been turned into a movie and I happened to catch a short interview with him on Campbell Live tonight. He sounded like he had his feet on the ground, with no axe to grind. And I’m now in no doubt it is another book that I don’t really want to read, but really need to read.
I’ll let you know what it’s like when I get to it. In the meantime, bon appetite. 😉