This is a topic sure to bring the flamers out of the woodwork.
Reusable nappies vs Disposable nappies
In my very brief experience people don’t tend to be fence-sitters on this topic.
As I type this I am in the midst of my own assessment of what I think is the best option for the OhWaily family. Do I want the instant gratification of disposables or am I willing to put in the time with reusable nappies.
Hmm. There is quite a bit to consider in this debate.
- Am I too lazy to wash every other day?
- Will the weather be helpful or will I end up using the dryer all the time?
- Do I want to add a few extra tons of baby poop and chemical crystals to the local landfill?
- Will I have leakage issues if I choose reusables? Then again, disposables aren’t 100% foolproof either.
- Are disposables more absorbant? Therefore should I use them on the longer overnight sleeps?
- Will reusables promote nappy rash because the moisture isn’t “drawn away” from baby’s skin?
- Will it be easier to toilet train a baby who wears reusable nappies?
- Will it be sensible to use them in a half-and-half system?
And last, but not least, in my considerations:
- What the hell are the chemicals in those magic crystals that absorb all those bodily fluids?
- Where can I find out about them?
- How do I know they are safe for long-term use? And just who would have let their kids be the experiment for proving they are safe?
Are you a parent who has made this choice?
Do you have an opinion? What is it? Why do you hold that opinion?
Do you have links to resources helping parents make this choice?
If so, please leave a comment with the details and then stick around as I work through making this choice for Miss OhWaily.