Recipe By: Deborah Madison
Serving Size: 4
The Tofu and Marinade
1 package firm tofu
⅓ cup hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
⅓ cup rice wine vinegar — (mirin)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
3 cloves garlic — minced or pressed
1 Tablespoon minced ginger
2 pinches red pepper flakes
2 red bell peppers
12 ounce package soba noodles
1 bunch scallions — thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Cut the tofu into slabs about ⅜ inch thick and drain briefly on paper towels.
- Whisk the remaining marinade ingredients together in a pie plate. Add the tofu and turn the pieces so that all are covered with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the grill or heat the broiler. Remove the tofu from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Grill or broil until browned on both sides, then slice into strips.
- Grill or broil the peppers until the skin blisters, then peel and slice into narrow strips.
- Boil the noodles in a large pot of salted water until done, according to the package instructions.
- Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking and shake off excess water.
- Toss the noodles with the reserved marinade, scallions, cilantro, peppers and tofu. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the noodles. Toss again and serve.
Ratings Out of 10: Jesse 7, John 7, Lynn 7
NOTES : I made this with bottled peppers in place of the pepper flakes. Also cut the tofu into smaller strips and marinaded them before grilling. Could do with a small salad as an accompaniment.