Recipe By : Rose Elliot
Serving Size : 4
225g / 8oz green or brown lentils
50g / 2oz butter or vegan margarine
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
1 x 425g / 15oz can tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2-3 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt & freshly ground black pepper
700g / 1 ½ lbs potatoes, cooked and mashed
a little extra butter or vegan margarine
- Put the lentils into a large saucepan, cover with water and boil gently until tender – about 45 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6. Use half the butter/margarine to grease a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Fry the onions in the remaining butter/margarine in a large saucepan for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, mixed herbs, tomatoes, soy sauce, lentils, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into the dish. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top, draw the prongs of the fork over the surface to make ridges and dot with a little butter or vegan margarine.
- Bake the pie for 45 minutes, until the potato is golden brown.
Source: “Rose Elliot’s Vegetarian Cookery” , 1988
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
NOTES :This book is a great starting point for vegetarian cooking. Just be flexible about the cooking times, it may not take as long as the recipe states. Also, I can definitely state that dyed-in-the-wool meat eaters will enjoy this.
(I fed a bodybuilder this and he loved it.)
I also have to confess to adding cheese to the potato topping before the baking process – but we buy Vegetarian Edam for the purpose – and you really don’t need another 45 minutes for this stage. Use your discretion, the lentils are usually cooked by the time you bake this.